Posting transactions is an important step in managing revenue in Atlas. It has two functions:
- to secure invoices, payments and adjustments so that they cannot be edited or deleted after they've been reconciled
- and to send Summary Journal Entries over to your QuickBooks, Great Plains or Intacct accounting software
Posting Transactions should be completed by your team as often as your internal financial processes recommend. Many Associations Post Transactions every time they do a deposit to the bank, as this is a good opportunity to see the cash, checks and credit card payments that should make up this post and correct any information as necessary.
- From the main menu, select Revenue > Post Transactions. The Post Transactions window will open.
- Select the date range of unposted transactions you want to post, or check the Show all unposted transactions box to bring up all unposted transactions in the data grid below.
- Select the Accounting Package you want to pull transactions from. Some clients will only have one option in this drop-down menu, while some may have multiple Accounting Packages.
- Click the Preview Transactions To Post button to display the unposted transactions. The Summary Journal Entries to be Posted data grid the accounts that will be affected by the postings and the amounts that will be credited and debited to each account.
- *NOTE* - if you use QuickBooks and use classes and/or sub-classes, you will see a separate entry for each class as well as each account.
- *NOTE* - if you use IntAcct and use Departments and/or Locations, you will see a separate entry for each of these, as well as each account.
- *NOTE* - if you use QuickBooks Online (instead of QuickBooks Desktop), you will see separate balancing entries for each account combination.
- You can also see the details of these Journal Entries by clicking the the View Journal Entry Details link. Detail information is for your review only. Only Summary Journal Entries will be posted to QuickBooks, however.
- If a listed entry should not be posted, select the entry by checking the box next to it and then selecting Remove Selected Transactions from the Actions drop-down menu. Click the green 'go' arrow button to execute the removal action.
- To correct Debit Account or Credit Account information, click in the appropriate column and a drop-down list will appear that contains the Account Codes and Descriptions from the Account Codes table.
- Click the View Pre-Posting Report button to open a report of the items and account numbers to be posted (this step is optional).
- If you are integrated with QuickBooks, Great Plains or Intacct, make sure the Create Accounting Package Journal Entries box is checked so that these systems are updated with Summary Journal Entries. It should be checked by default. If you are not integrated, this box should be unchecked.
- Click the Post Transactions button. The selected transactions will be marked as posted. This locks the transactions so that any further changes will require adjustments.
- To view a report of the journal entries made, click the View Posting Report button. You can also run this report at any time in the future by going to Reports > Revenue Reports > Transaction Reports > Batch Posting Report and using the Batch Number identified on this screen.
Note on Reconciliation:
Whether creating journal entries manually from the posting report or automatically through a direct interface to your accounting package, regular reconciliation of the general ledger to the source transactions in Atlas is essential.
Journal entries from Atlas are driven by the debit and credit accounts (and potentially classes for QuickBooks users) that are stored in the various Revenue Code tables. Responsibility for proper setup and maintenance of the code tables rests with the client. MemberClicks assumes no responsibility for the setup of your code tables or for keeping your general ledger reconciled to your transactions. The Batch Posting Report listed above is the best report to manage this.
This feature is included or available for purchase with the following Atlas packages.