When a new member joins your organization, you have lots of information to input to Atlas, getting them set up with the important data they need as a member: listing information, billing records, mailing lists, tracking codes, and more. Our Add a Member wizard allows you to quickly and easily enter this information, using your Membership Levels to assist in streamlining data entry.
To enter a new member, go to Profiles > Add a Member, or click Create a new member from the Profile Quick Actions on the left side menu. A web browser window will launch:
If the new member already has a profile in Atlas (for example, a Prospect profile, or a former Member profile), you can look up the existing profile using the search box. Enter a profile ID or name of the profile, and click Search, then select the profile you want to add as a member. If you need to add a profile for the new member, click Create Profile.
Note: if you are already viewing a profile in the Profile Browser and would like to turn them into a member, click the Add as Member link in the upper right corner. You can also check the Member checkbox, and answer "Yes" when prompted to launch the Add a Member tool. If you answer "No," the only change made will be the actual Member checkbox itself, and you can click Save to save that change.
Each tab on the left contains important membership information for you to enter or update. Note that the only data that the system requires is the profile name, but make sure you enter all relevant information for your association on ALL tabs before continuing.
- New Profile Settings: Select whether the new member profile is an individual or an organization.
- Membership: If you have configured Membership Levels, select the appropriate level for this member. All configured settings will then auto-populate into the rest of the form. For example, if you have Affiliation Codes assigned to the Membership Level that you select, the Affiliation Codes tab for the new member will automatically fill in with the Affiliations for that level.
- General Information: This is where you'll enter all basic contact information, as well as the Profile Status (which may be auto-populated based on Membership Level), Assigned To and Sold By fields, Number of Employees, and other preferences.
- Additional Addresses: If you need to add a Mailing, Billing, or other address, click Add. If all addresses are the same, you do not need to enter any additional addresses.
- Additional Phone Numbers: If you need to add any phone numbers other than the Work, Mobile and Home phone (from the General Information tab), you can click Add.
- Additional Email Addresses: If this member profile has additional email addresses you would like to store, click Add. Note that the next step will be to add related profiles (e.g. employees), so this should only be additional emails for the member profile itself.
- Listings: to give this member a listing on your online directory and/or a business category, click Add. Select the category from the dropdown, and sub-category if applicable. Set the listing type and detail listing type to determine how the member will display on your directory - note that if you've selected a Membership Level, this may already be defaulted to the correct type for that level. Finally, if the member's listing types include descriptions, enter a short and/or long business description.
Note that if you are setting an existing profile as a member, they may already have an inactive listing that appears on this screen. Make sure any existing listings are active by checking the Active checkbox on the listing.
- Social Media: if the member has any social media pages that you want to record, be sure to enter the full URL (including the http://). If your directory is configured to show Social Media icons, the member's listing will be linked to any pages you enter.
- Affiliation Codes: Select the Affiliation Codes for this member from the tree on the left, and click the > arrow to add them to the profile. You can hold down your control key to select multiple Affiliations. If you've selected Membership Level, you may already see the Affiliations assigned to that level. If any need to be removed, you can select them from the box on the right and click < to remove them.
- Billing: Enter a billing record for this member. The billing record is a template that the system uses create recurring invoices for this member each year (or month, quarter, etc.). If you selected a Membership Level, you may already have billing record(s) displayed here, and you can edit any information as necessary. You can see more details on the different fields in a Billing record here (this article reviews how to manually create a billing record on an existing profile).
- Web Portal Credentials: By default, the member will be set to use the system default credentials (unless the existing profile already had a Username). The system default credentials will populate with the email as the Username, and the last 4 digits of the phone number as the Password. You can also uncheck the checkbox and manually enter a custom Username and Password.
After the member is saved, the password will be encrypted to our central authentication database and the new member can reset it at any time with their email address. Click here for more details on sending credentials to new members.
- Association-Specific Information (HBA and NAA clients only): If you are a Home Builders Association, you will see an NAHB tab to enter Member Type, Status, and other NAHB data fields to submit to NAHB with your monthly export. If you are an Apartment/Multihousing Association, you'll see a tab to enter the Profile Type, and/or enter Property Information, Owner Information, etc.
Once you have updated each tab for which you have data (you can skip any tabs that you don't need), click Save. Next: Add Relationships. Be sure you don't click save until all information is entered, as this will actually create/update the member profile.
On the Related Profiles screen, you can add/edit related profiles. If you created the member using an existing profile, you may already see related profiles listed here.
- To edit an existing related profile, click Edit in the grid. To add a new profile to the database, related to the member profile, click Add New Related Profile. To relate a profile that is already in your database to the member profile, click Relate Existing Profile.
- Enter/update all of the individual's contact information on the General Information tab. The basic contact info will be populated from the member profile, but you can change anything as necessary.
- On the Relationship tab, indicate whether the new profile is the Main Contact. If they are not the Main Contact, you can also set them as an Editor (meaning they can log in to Members Only and edit the related member profile), and/or the Billing Contact for invoices for this profile. Set the Relation Type of this profile to the new member profile (often this will be Employee).
- On the remaining tabs, enter any information specific to the related profile you are creating. Note that the Affiliation Codes tab may already have default Affiliations filled in if the Membership Level was selected in the previous screen and configured to have related profile Affiliations.
- Click Save.
Once all related profiles have been added, you can click Next: Process Payment, if you have access to the Revenue module. If you don't have a payment to enter, you can complete the new member on the next screen without adding any additional information. If you do not have permission to access the Revenue module in Atlas, you will see Next: Done as the button name, and you can click this to complete the Add a Member process and return to the first screen.
Click here for instructions on entering the invoice and/or payment for your new member.
This feature is included or available for purchase with the following Atlas packages.