If you have data to record on a profile but there is not an existing field you could use for this data (and it could not be an affiliation code), you can create custom fields and record unique values for those fields in any profile.
1. Go to Admin > Manage Codes, then click Profile Codes > Custom Fields.
2. To add a new field, click Add a Custom Field.
2. Enter a Field Name and Description. The Field Name will appear on the Custom Info tab of all profiles.
3. Choose a Data Type. "String" just means text - it will allow you to type in any value for the custom field. Integer and Decimal can be used for number values, and Date will provide a calendar for the user to choose from.
4. If you choose String as your data type, you can allow the text box to be single line or multi-line. You can also choose Dropdown List and create a list of options to choose from; however, if there are only a limited number of response you may want to consider using affiliation codes instead of a custom field.
5. Click Save.
You can now open any profile and click Edit Profile to add a value to that new Custom Field for that profile, in the Custom Fields section of the edit screen.
You can also search for custom field values in the Profile Selector - on the Profile Info tab of the Profile Selector, click the first dropdown with your list of fields and you will see your custom fields listed at the bottom.
Turn On Custom Fields in the Profile Update Form
In the "Information for Organization and Individual" section of your Profile Update Form Settings (Admin > Configuration Settings), you can enable the editing of Custom Fields in your Members Only Profile Update Form (click here for how to edit your Profile Update Form settings). To turn on a Custom Field in the Profile Update Form, select the Public checkbox:
Please sign in to leave a comment.