Related Revenue Items allow your members to add optional/voluntary contributions to their invoices, or chose to allocate a portion of their payment a certain way. You can create one or more Related Item on any of your existing Revenue Items, and it will appear in your Online Bill Pay web page and/or in your database when you process a payment, depending on your settings. The system will then automatically modify your invoice to reflect your Related Items.
1. Go to Admin > Manage Codes, then click Revenue Codes > Related Revenue Items. Click Add a Related Revenue Item.
2. Select the Revenue Item to which you want to add the related item (for example "Membership Dues"). This is the actual line item on the invoice that will trigger the Related Revenue Item.
3. Select the Revenue Item for the Related line item. This is the item that will be used to create an actual line item on the invoice if the members chooses to pay it (or if they pay the invoice, if the item isn't optional).
4. Enter the description of the Related Item to appear on your Online Bill Pay page (for example "Voluntary PAC Contribution"). This automatically fills in with the description of the Revenue Item you selected, but you can change it.
5. Enter either the flat amount of the Related Item, or enter a percentage of the actual line item to be calculated. NOTE that the percentage will always be calculated on the original amount of the line item, not the adjusted amount. If you choose flat amount, you can also select "Allow user to enter custom amount" so that they can overwrite the default amount with their own choice.
7. In the Action dropdown, choose whether you want the Related Item to be added to the invoice total, or rebalanced to split the amount between the items:
- Add: if this is chosen, the item will be an additional charge on top of the existing line item. This should be used for voluntary contributions and optional payments added on to membership invoices.
- Rebalance: if this is chosen, the invoice total will be redistributed to be split between the original line item and the related line item. This should be used for members to indicate if they want a portion of their dues to go towards a certain program, or to split lump-sum Dues payments into multiple line items. You'll need to choose an Adjustment Type to use to adjust off the initial amount if the invoice line item has been posted.
8. Once you've chosen whether the Related Item is an Add or Rebalance, set the corresponding settings for how it will be implemented:
- Related Revenue Item is Optional: if you've chosen Rebalance as the action for this item, you can uncheck this box to make it required, so the member is not able to opt out of rebalancing their invoice. If you've chosen Add, the payment amount will actually increase, so it must always optional.
- Users Must Opt In as Default: if you want members to have to check to choose to pay the optional item (instead of having it already checked by default and they need to uncheck it), check this box.
- Do Not Display in Online Bill Pay: if you've chosen Rebalance as the action and it is NOT optional, you can choose to hide it completely from Online Bill Pay with this setting. This will split the invoice after the member has paid and the member will not see the split. This should be used if you want to bill members for a single dues item, then divide that item into separate accounts after they pay.
- Use Line Item Apply Date: if this box is checked, the Related Item(s) will be created with the same Apply Date of the original line item, even if it was for a previous month. If you would like to use the current date (date of payment) for the Related Item, this box should be unchecked.
9. Click Save.
Repeat these steps for all Revenue Items to which you want to add optional contributions. You can add multiple optional items to each Revenue Items.
You can see these optional contributions display when you go to the Online Bill Pay page in your Members Only website for any member with an open invoice using one of the Revenue Items you set up. Check the checkbox to pay the invoice, and you'll be redirected to the Invoice Modification page, where the user can either uncheck (or check) the optional item and then choose to accept their selection, upon which they'll be returned to the Bill Pay page to enter their payment information. If the item is not optional, the member will not need to view and update the invoice modification page (and will not see the item on their receipt, if it is flagged as hidden).
Once payment is submitted, your payment administrator will be notified as usual and the line item will be added to the invoice, with the payment split appropriately between the two (or more) line items.
You can also modify invoices in your database when you apply a payment. Click here for more information on this process.
Please sign in to leave a comment.